Crossing Borders LIVE is a two hour concert series and radio broadcast dedicated to bringing people and cultures together through music. Top performing artists from the international, national, and local communities are featured and often brought together on stage and on-air, making their cultures and music accessible to a broader audience via broadcasts, live concerts, and community outreach.
Crossing Borders was launched in February of 2004 with a special multi-cultural series of programs recorded live, and began airing "live" for simultaneous broadcast on June 19th, 2004. Special Series presented in the first year included: Local Legend Series, Global Jazz Series, Middle Eastern/Eastern European Series, and the 21rst Century Singer Songwriter Series.
Music from India, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Egypt, West Africa, Eastern Europe, Armenia, Ireland, Brazil, Cuba, the Ukraine, France, Mali, and Italy and, as was stellar jazz by Steve Brown, John Stetch, Jerome Harris, Joel Rubin, Kneebody, Wingnut,the East Hill Classic Jazz Duo, and Ithaca's own Djug Django, among others. California bands Rock Me Pony and the Northstar Session, and New York based Cabaret artists Cassis, and Felice Rosser, traveled across states to air on Crossing Borders. International artists such as Shoghaken Armenian Folk Ensemble and Yair Dalal traveled oceans and continents.
Collaborations continue to be the soul of the concert series and partnerships have included;
- Cornell Council of the Arts
- Cornell Music Department
- Ithaca World Arts Alliance
- Ithaca Festival
- The City of Ithaca
- Community School of Music and Art
- The Carriage House Hayloft
- Center for the Arts of Homer
- The Grassroots Music Festival
- Camargue Productions
- The Latino Civic Association
- Neal's Music
- Ithaca Guitar Works
- Hickey's Music Store
- Sonic Planet
- Cornell Concert Series
- Moonlight Dancer Studios
and many local venues and clubs that have hosted Crossing Borders LIVE broadcasts.
Special Thanks to...
- Miche Fambro
- Aron Gutman
- Hank Roberts
- Nate Richardson
- Ray Ackerman, First Chair Recording
- Aaron Birkland, Studio Tech
- David Botsch, Web Design and Maintenance
- Al Grunwell III, Fingerlakes Recording
- Larry Helmeczy, Audio Director
- Matthew Honold
- Andrew Lane
- Shea Lynch
- Jonathan White
- Durga Bor
- Dan Cole
- Diana Dimitrova
- Aron Gutman
- Patricia Longaker
- Brent Martin
- Alan Rose
- Durga Bor, Faculty Cornell South Asia Program
- Dave Bulatek., former owner McNeil’s Music
- Deborah Clover, Musician
- Al Grunwell III, Finger Lakes Recording, Inc.
- Martin Hatch, retired chair of Ethno Music Department Cornell Univ.
- Charles Izzo, Musician
- Patricia Longaker, Broker, Longaker Real Estate, volunteer Crossing Borders
- Ben Miller, Youth Series advisor
- Tish Pearlman, Host/producer NPR’s ‘Out of Bounds’
- Nate Richardson, musician, Manager Rep Studios, Past Guest Producer Crossing
- Alan Rose, Youth Series advisor
- June Seaney, Owner Moonlight Dancer Studio for Middle Eastern Dance